Building in the Unincorporated Areas of Comal County

Required Permits

When building within the unincorporated parts of Comal County, there are typically five permits from Comal County that must be obtained during construction.

On-Site Sewage Facility (OSSF)

The first is the On-Site Sewage Facility (OSSF) Permit. The OSSF Permit Application is submitted along with a design from a registered engineer or sanitarian. The engineer or sanitarian certifies that their design complies with all the regulations set forth by the state of Texas. The OSSF Permit Application and Permit Checklist are available on-line. If it is determined* by the Comal County Engineer's Office that the proposed development associated with the OSSF Permit is within the regulatory floodplain, then a Floodplain Development Permit will be required, which is the second permit that may be issued by Comal County.

Floodplain Permit

If a proposed development is not associated with an OSSF Permit, the Comal County Engineer’s Office provides a floodplain development determination* through the submittal of a Floodplain Development Permit Application. If it is determined* by the Comal County Engineer’s Office that the development proposed is within the regulatory floodplain, the owner will need to comply with the Comal County Flood Damage Prevention Order.

PIPROW/Driveway Permit

The third permit is a Private Improvement within the Public Right-of-Way (PIPROW). A PIPROW Permit is obtained when a driveway installation, modification or any other type of work, i.e. landscaping, takes place within the public right-of-way.

Fire Marshal

A fourth permit may be required from the Fire Marshal for commercial buildings, public buildings, and multifamily residential dwellings containing four or more units, pursuant to the Comal County Fire Code. For more information, please visit the Comal County Fire Marshal's website.

Dark Skies

The final permit that may be required is the Camp Bullis Dark Skies Zone Outdoor Lighting Permit. Order 367 Regulation of Outdoor Lighting, requires a permit before installation of any outdoor lighting within the Camp Bullis Dark Skies Zone. For more information regarding the Camp Bullis Dark Skies Zone, please click here.

Please note that the above described permits are required by Comal County. Property owners need to be aware that there may be other requirements by Property Owners Associations, municipalities, utility companies, and the state and federal governments.

* As part of the floodplain development determination, the Comal County Engineer’s Office will review compliance with the Comal County Subdivision Regulations.

Engineer's Office Home