Building in the Unincorporated Areas of Comal County?



Required Permits


When building within the unincorporated parts of Comal County, there are typically four permits from Comal County that must be obtained during construction. The first is the Septic Permit. This permit is submitted along with a design from a registered engineer or sanitarian. The engineer or sanitarian certifies that their design complies with all the regulations set forth by the state of Texas. The Septic Permit Application is available on-line.


The second permit required is the Floodplain Development Permit. Comal County is a participant of the FEMA Floodplain Program and we check to make sure that all new construction is located outside any designated flood hazard area. If new construction is proposed in the designated flood hazard area, then a permit is issued to ensure compliance with the Comal County Flood Damage Prevention Order. The Floodplain Application is available on-line. The Floodplain Development Permit and Septic Permit are applied for at the same time and a Permit Checklist for these two permits is also available on-line.


The third permit is a Private Improvement in the Public Right-of-Way (PIPROW) Permit. This permit is typically obtained whenever the final driveway that attaches to a county road is installed. The PIPROW Permit Application is available on-line.


A fourth permit will be required from the Fire Marshal's Office for all commercial buildings, public buildings, and multifamily residential dwellings containing four or more residences, pursuant to the 2012 International Fire Code.  The Fire Marshal's Building Permit Web Page is available



**Note: The recent passage of the Camp Bullis Dark Skies Zone Order may require you to have a permit if you plan to install any new outdoor lighting within those effected areas of Comal County. For more information, including a map of the zone boundaries as well as a copy of the order itself, click here.


Please note that the above described permits are required by Comal County. Property owners need to be aware that there may be other requirements by Property Owners Associations, municipalities, utility companies, and the state and federal government.